Head of Apparel
Doing Things Media
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Tuesday, August 1, 2023
Who We Are:At Doing Things, our process is unique, but our purpose is clear. We connect consumers across the world through humor and happiness. Doing Things is responsible for the funniest, most shareable and culturally relevant memes and video content on the Internet. The company is making ordinary life relatable, humorous and entertaining through a portfolio that includes some of the most popular brands built on Instagram, including Middle Class Fancy, Shithead Steve, Overheard, Recess Therapy, Bob Does Sports and Animals Doing Things, among others. Through its IP, Doing Things fuels consumer products, branded content, video licensing, publishing and original entertainment across digital and linear TV.Founded in 2017, Doing Things touts more than 35+ unique brands and delivers more than 100 pieces of original and curated content daily to an audience of more than 80 million followers across Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, YouTube and Snap. This includes the company’s fast-growing direct-to-consumer products business, featuring comedic apparel and accessories based on what’s trending, as well as our Breezy golf apparel line.Today, Doing Things is looking to expand its team as we extend our reach to bring smiles to millions of new community members across the globe.Job Description:The Head of Apparel is a new role for Doing Things, introduced to drive the creative assembly and strategic planning for all of our apparel lines across Doing Things channels. We are seeking an innovative and dynamic individual who can work cross-functionally with the eCommerce, Marketing and Creative Content/Editorial teams, to lead apparel design based on a nuanced understanding of the content of our channels, and how that can be translated into a cohesive assortment plan and line vision. In this role, you will combine exceptional design expertise with strategic leadership to shape the Design function. You will not just be a leader, but an advocate for Design within the organization, helping to shape the future of our brands & customer experience. This role reports directly to the CEO.Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute a comprehensive apparel design strategy that reflects the tone of voice and humor of our channels.
- Research and identify retail white space opportunities for the various brands and work with the Head of Commerce to define an overall apparel portfolio strategy/
- Define the voice and create a merchandising plan for under-developed brands.
- Take inspiration from the Editorial/Creative Content teams when developing products and styles that enhance the overall brand while fulfilling business and assortment goals of the Commerce team.
- Lead by example, actively participating in design projects to drive innovation and maintain a deep understanding of our products, clients, and shoppers.
- Create fresh, innovative and commercially viable lifestyle collections (where appropriate) as well as ongoing, fast turn print on demand (POD) products
- Build out the product roadmap and development calendar for all brands in collaboration with the Director of eCommerce.
- Mentor and guide an Art Director and associated team of designers, fostering a culture of collaboration, growth, and excellence.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional stakeholders across Commerce, Editorial, Brand Partnerships and Data & Insights teams, to ensure seamless integration of design across all shopper touchpoints.
- Establish and implement “best-in-class” design processes, methodologies, and tools that optimize efficiency and enable scalable growth.
- Drive continuous improvement by staying updated on industry trends, emerging technologies, and design best practices.
- Manage vendor relationships and sampling process, including fit, color, fabric, and quality control.
- 8+ years of apparel merchandising experience for established retail brands
- Experience building line plans, driving product assortments, and partnering with graphic designers to conceive of concepts that grow the business
- Experience building businesses by developing merchandise plans with trend right products for the streetwear, athleisure, golf, athletic, and fashion lifestyle markets
- A track record of aligning and inspiring teams and influencing management through clear visions and strong presentations
- An optimistic and enthusiastic relationship builder and hands-on teammate
- Collaborative colleague, with a passion for stylish product, attention to detail, and project management
- Strong Excel, PPT and Google Sheets ability a plus
- The role can be remote, but the ideal candidate will be in New York
- Strong familiarity with apparel and retail financials