Director of Wholesale
Doing Things Media
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2023
Who We Are:At Doing Things, our process is unique, but our purpose is clear. We connect consumers across the world through humor and happiness. Doing Things is responsible for the funniest, most shareable, and culturally relevant memes and video content on the Internet. The company is making ordinary life relatable, humorous and entertaining through a portfolio that includes some of the most popular brands built on Instagram, including Middle Class Fancy, Shithead Steve, Overheard, Recess Therapy, Bob Does Sports and Animals Doing Things, among others. Through its IP, Doing Things fuels consumer products, branded content, video licensing, publishing and original entertainment across digital and linear TV.Founded in 2017, Doing Things touts more than 35+ unique brands and delivers more than 100 pieces of original and curated content daily to an audience of more than 80 million followers across Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, YouTube and Snap. This includes the company’s fast-growing direct-to-consumer products business, featuring comedic apparel and accessories based on what’s trending, as well as our Breezy golf apparel line.Today, Doing Things is looking to expand its team as we extend our reach to bring smiles to millions of new community members across the globe.Job Description:We are seeking an experienced and enthusiastic Director of Wholesale to take ownership of our emerging wholesale channel. This individual will be an exceptional sales leader with experience in building a wholesale sales strategy, identifying retail opportunities and a proven history of launching into new markets. The Director of Wholesale will work within the Commerce team (Apparel Design, Merchandising, Operations, Analytics etc.) to establish a robust wholesale growth strategy that drives sales and profitability for the company.The Director of Wholesale is responsible for establishing strong relationships with specialty retail wholesale accounts and prospects, building and pursuing a pipeline of opportunities for new accounts, ensuring a consistent brand and customer experience at retail, and providing weekly reports on performance, opportunities, and business needs.This role reports to our Head of Commerce. We are a hybrid company, and are looking for someone in the New York area.Responsibilities:
- Activate specialty retail relationships on behalf of our Breezy Golf, Middle Class Fancy/RadDad and Shithead Steve brands.
- Address assortment needs and assist in product and design development alongside the Commerce and art/product design teams.
- Collaborate with the Commerce team to activate relevant Joor, NuOrder and Faire account presence.
- Identify and develop national and regional trade show strategy.
- Strategically grow, nurture and develop relationships, and subsequent performance of all key retail partners across the region.
- Assess market potential and build a pipeline of target accounts and opportunities; initiate relationships and engage in sales activities.
- Present product line to new and existing accounts, traveling when needed.
- Ensure our core DTC business and brand equity are supported, not eroded, by our new channels.
- Lead development of brand presence on retail sites and in stores, collaborating with brand and creative partners.
- Drive pre-orders, at-once business, re-orders, and end-of-season liquidations.
- Determine wholesale distribution segmentation strategy and product assortments.
- Identify retailers for potential partnerships or collaboration.
- Ideate, develop and execute retailer specific shopper marketing plans, including coupons and digital demos, and work with marketing to ensure wholesale partnerships are represented in brand and media planning.
- Establish and manage wholesale operations calendar, including key market dates, trade shows, sell-in periods, and regular business reviews with key accounts.
- Produce weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports including sell-through at retail; analyze performance to identify opportunities; produce executive and board-level updates.
- Work within Commerce team to establish standards for wholesale support. Understand customer needs and coordinate with the fulfillment team to ensure timely delivery and account satisfaction.
- Manage accountability for the consolidated wholesale channel P&L as well as each individual partner’s P&L performance.
- Understand and manage Doing Things’ Commerce business, being mindful of how our creative teams and DTC channels function and operate: their unique requirements, timelines, areas of opportunity, etc.
- Accountable for sales data analysis (sell in/sell out performance) and subsequent inventory management.
- Work with the Commerce and Finance teams to build sales forecasts and align on quarterly/annual buying strategies.
- 6+ years of experience in a wholesale capacity, with a specialty retail focus, and a proven track record of new account acquisition
- Experience with golf, streetwear (menswear) apparel and accessory categories preferably targeted at Millennial and Gen-Z consumers.
- Established relationships with buyers in specialty retail: regional boutiques and chain stores, country clubs, travel retail, with a longer term focus on select big box retailers
- Fluidity assisting in the building of assortments, line sheets, and sales tools as needed
- Exceptional sales and presentation skills; communicates and presents effectively to executive and buying teams;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to create compelling sales materials and decks
- Proven ability to consistently meet/exceed sales goals and KPIs.
- Ability to analyze data and the retail whitespace from multiple viewpoints including market data, competitive offerings, and other information sources.
- Merchant sensibility and intuition for product.
- Consumer-centric; ability to incorporate both quantitative and qualitative customer insights.