Doing Things Media
Who We Are:
At Doing Things, our process is unique, but our purpose is clear. We connect consumers across the world through humor and happiness. Doing Things is responsible for the funniest, most shareable, and culturally relevant memes and video content on the Internet. The company is making ordinary life relatable, humorous and entertaining through a portfolio that includes some of the most popular brands built on Instagram, including Middle Class Fancy, Shithead Steve, Overheard, Recess Therapy, Bob Does Sports and Animals Doing Things, among others. Through its IP, Doing Things fuels consumer products, branded content, video licensing, publishing and original entertainment across digital and linear TV.
Founded in 2017, Doing Things touts more than 35+ unique brands and delivers more than 100 pieces of original and curated content daily to an audience of more than 80 million followers across Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, YouTube and Snap. This includes the company’s fast-growing direct-to-consumer products business, featuring comedic apparel and accessories based on what’s trending, as well as our Breezy golf apparel line.
Today, Doing Things is looking to expand its team as we extend our reach to bring smiles to millions of new community members across the globe.
We are seeking a highly proactive and organized corporate Staff Accountant to support our Finance & Operations team. This position offers an exciting opportunity for growth, building upon your current skill-sets, and creating meaningful career experiences & relationships with a uniquely interesting and fun company. Prior accounting experience in a private company is highly desirable, but if you are coming from a public background we are willing to teach & train! This role will report directly to the Senior Accounting Manager.
We are ideally looking for someone in the New York area, who is willing to work from our New York City office on a hybrid schedule, approximately 2 days per week.
- Be a team leader in completing month-end & year-end close procedures (i.e. bank account reconciliations, recording accruals, journal entries, etc).
- Manage Accounts Payable process, including: replying to vendors in a timely manner, setting up new vendors in Bill.com, obtaining internal approvals for all new bills received and subsequently entering them into Bill.com.
- Assist with Accounts Receivable process, including: creating and sending new invoices via Quickbooks Online to clients and regularly following up on status of payment, etc.
- Facilitate issuance of 1099’s to Independent Contractors at year-end.
- Ability to prepare and analyze financial statements and other ad hoc reports for both internal and external stakeholders, as well as assist with annual audits.
- Prepare and maintain balance sheet account recs on a monthly & quarterly basis.
- Collaborate cross-functionally and build strong relationships with a wide variety of teams, such as Creative, Commerce, Data, & Brand Partnerships.
- Help strategize and build out a new Inventory management system, contributing to a new process implementation from the ground up (experience with inventory accounting and calculating/recording of COGS is a plus).
- Proactive communication, with a desire and drive to propose thoughtful solutions to issues or problems as they arise.
- Be a self-starter and strive to take ownership of new tasks and projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, or other finance-related degree, required.
- At least 2-3 years of accounting-related work experience is preferred.
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills, with very strong attention to detail.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel (specifically v-lookups & pivot tables).
- Experience using Quickbooks Online, Shopify, and Bill.com is a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills is a must.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong understanding and working knowledge of US GAAP regulations.
What We Offer:
At Doing Things you will make an immediate impact. Doing Things, Inc. is a start-up made up of driven, smart, and talented people looking for other potential team members with the same attitude of innovation and excellence. We offer incredible opportunities to learn and work on projects that are at the forefront of the internet media landscape and are transforming digital advertising. We offer competitive compensation that includes cutting edge work and the opportunity to join a rapidly growing startup with a proven product.
The base salary for this position at the time of posting will range from $75,000 to $85,000 USD. Individual compensation varies based on job related factors, including business needs, experience, level of responsibility, and qualifications.
At Doing Things, we don’t just accept differences - we celebrate them, we support them, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our employees, our brands and our community. Doing Things is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Doing Things does not interview candidates via email and job offers are only extended after a thorough interview process involving phone and/or video interviews. If you receive a suspicious email regarding a position with Doing Things and/or a job offer, please do not respond. Forward that email to email@example.com.